Skip to main content

A New Beginning

I have not blogged for almost a year. My life and my mind have been in a state of general disarray for the last year and a half, now that I think about it. It has been a time of change and upheaval, but now the downtime of winter has brought me some time for reflection on the craziness.

In August of 2014 my husband and I moved our family away from my beloved Wisconsin. We are now what I like to call 'homesteading' (because I feel it makes my crazy-chicken-lady status acceptable) near Hastings, Minnesota on my husband's family farm where he grew up, and his father before him grew up, and his father before him, and maybe one more father before him too; yep, if I remember correctly what I have been told, the family farm has been here that long. And now here we are, raising our kids in the same place. Sentimentality is in my nature, so I can dig it, even with the stress of moving. Creaky/beautiful old farmhouse and all.




In January 2015, I officially started my landscape business, Wild Violet's Landscape Design, and tentatively made my way through my first year in business as my own entity rather than working for others. It has been both terrific and terrifying to develop a new identity as a business owner along with my regular responsibilities as a wife and mother. This balance (or lack thereof) could fill 100 blogs, but I'll try to keep it focused on the big picture of where I'm going in 2016 for this one. 

I want to make a new commitment to my business to regularly connect with my friends and customers with updates on this blog, or possibly a monthly newsletter, Facebook, or what have you. But, here's my dilemma. My mind is not easily focused. I have many hamsters running on many wheels up there, not to mention that since I began this blog in 2011 I have changed a lot as a person. I started blogging in lieu of keeping a garden journal. Then motherhood came along and threw me some major curve balls personally and professionally, so I wrote about parenting and introducing my girls to the great outdoors. Cooking and craft projects crept into my writing too, because unfortunately, you know, WINTER. Also other personal things showed up: pets, home projects, other hobbies. Because I am not just one thing - a landscape designer, or a wife, or a Mom. I am a whole person, with a multi-faceted life. I cannot compartmentalize it.

That being said, I do realize some of my past posts may not be totally 'professional' to now have connected to my business website. I have struggled with this and in the meantime avoided new blogging, wondering if I should delete my old content or hide it or start a different blog. I tend to overthink things. The hamsters, you know. I've decided to be my authentic self and let it all hang out there rather than lose those records that certainly meant something to me at the time, and perhaps would mean something to someone else now. So there you go. My future writings may be more consistent and professional, or I may slip occasionally...I'm still me, after all. Also, while we're being honest, sometimes I like to drink beer and/or say swear words, but only when really, really necessary. Whew. Got that off my chest.

Onward!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Broccoli Land Speed Record

I'm behind in posting my seed starting progress.  On Wed, March 16th, about 8 weeks till last predicted frost, I started my pepper seeds.  I planted two cells of Jalapeno, two of green bell peppers and 5 of the colorful Carnival Mix bells.  I always plant 2-3 seeds per cell and then thin to the strongest survivor.  So they are all up and happy now: I was planning to start my tomato and broccoli seeds a week ago on Tues, March 29th (6 weeks till last frost) but didn't get around to it until Friday, April 1st.  Close enough.  Mother Nature's behind this spring too if you ask me.  It snowed last week, for pete's sake! Last night, I went down to water and check on things, and the Romanesco Broccoli seeds are already up!  That's got to be a broccoli land speed record, right?  Three days?  The package says they emerge in 10-21 days so I am feeling pretty dang good about my wicked horticultural skillz.  Here's a pic of my eager little broccoli seedlings:

Try it

While many folks have started New Year’s Resolutions for 2022, I have been looking for My Word. Admittedly, I could use improvements along the lines of traditional resolutions like getting more exercise, eating less sweets, or managing money well, but I also know myself enough to know I don’t and won’t abide by these just because we hang a new tally sheet on the wall indicating the reset of the annual cycle. What I love about a new year is the excuse for a pause. A practically mandated time set aside for nostalgic self-reflection! This looking back, along with the hopeful feeling of potential for what is to come is an enjoyable tradition for me (I’m blessedly past the stage of loud, boozy, people-y New Year’s Eve parties).  Yes, instead of traditional resolutions, I’ve adopted a more recent trend of choosing a word to focus on for the upcoming year. I find self-improvement goals for a new season easier to remember if I settle on a word or phrase that is lately on my heart.

Stay Wild

Deep Breath. Here goes. And it’s gonna be sweary.  You’ve probably heard the phrase “Life begins at 40”. I’m there. I’m a few years into the decade, but already deep in the vibe. A shift is happening, and my mind is blown by the “aliveness” of it all. Here’s how it happened:  I’m a woman, wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend, entrepreneur, creative dreamer. I was also recently diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), primarily Inattentive Type. “WTF”, you ask? I know. Don’t get me started; I’m still getting used to it myself, and it’s a long, complicated story filled with questions, doubt, research, doctors, naysayers, anger, acceptance, and lots and lots of hope (repeat).  It’s a fucking revelation . Here I am, at age 43, wondering why I’ve always felt anxious, socially awkward, misunderstood, and possibly legit crazy. I have been questioning myself for years. Decades. Trudging through life, wearing (too) many hats, grasping at fulfillment, and still