Skip to main content

Coffee Table Makeover

I got this very rustic bench for cheap at an auction, thinking it would be OK to park by the door for sitting down to put on shoes.  Turns out it was way too huge for that spot, but kind of a perfect size for a coffee table.  It is however too splintery for a coffee table with little people around the house, and doesn't really go with our home since we don't live in a rustic cabin (dang) or a barn (whew), so for months it's been sitting in my living room with a blanket thrown over it.  Rather pathetic.  Here's the makeover, done entirely during Baby's morning nap while Big Sister was at preschool for a couple of hours. I thought it best to do this project sans kids since there are scissors, staple guns, and perhaps a bit of cussing involved.  But it is nice to have a table now with soft corners for baby to walk around while she's learning to walk and big sister to sit on when she plays 'dog show'.  Anywho, for this project I was on the clock, thus no time to pick up toys for photos, only time to kick them out of the way to make space for the project.  Life isn't perfect.

I can't remember what I bought the table for, but it was no more than $15 for sure.  I want to say $8, but I have no idea.  The foam and batting cost $24 at Walmart.  The fabric was my big splurge at JoAnn's, it turned out to be $48 on sale for 2 3/4 yards, but I actually could have gotten by with less yardage, probably 2 1/4 would have been fine for what I ended up doing with it.  I bought a little extra for covering two square pillows we already have, but didn't have quite enough to do both to make a matching pair.  Instead I covered a small rectangular pillow and still have extra fabric left.  For what, I don't know.  




The Before
 

I covered the top with a layer of this foam and trimmed it to fit with regular scissors.
Just laid it on top, no glue or anything fancy (the splintery wood helped hold it in place)
Then two layers of this batting.  I used most of a full size package.
I wrapped it underneath the table edges and stapled it wherever. I changed the corners after I took this photo so they wrapped around the ends rather than the sides and the table looked overall less lumpy that way.
.....and here's the moment where I had BIG doubts about my fabric choice.  EEK. 
But, once it was on, it looks pretty cool.  It took a bit of care to make the pattern lay in a logical way, but it turns out the scale of the design is kind of perfect for the size of the table.  The sun shines on a dog's arse some days, I guess.
Ta da!
Close-up of the end.

The pillow.  Just enough repeat of the pattern in the room to make the table look like MAYBE it actually belongs.  I think now that two square pillows would have been too much pattern.


The perfectionist in me demanded much farting around to get the pattern to match at the seams.  It turned out to be not as hard as I thought, and I was glad I had the extra fabric.


Comments

Popular Posts

Broccoli Land Speed Record

I'm behind in posting my seed starting progress.  On Wed, March 16th, about 8 weeks till last predicted frost, I started my pepper seeds.  I planted two cells of Jalapeno, two of green bell peppers and 5 of the colorful Carnival Mix bells.  I always plant 2-3 seeds per cell and then thin to the strongest survivor.  So they are all up and happy now: I was planning to start my tomato and broccoli seeds a week ago on Tues, March 29th (6 weeks till last frost) but didn't get around to it until Friday, April 1st.  Close enough.  Mother Nature's behind this spring too if you ask me.  It snowed last week, for pete's sake! Last night, I went down to water and check on things, and the Romanesco Broccoli seeds are already up!  That's got to be a broccoli land speed record, right?  Three days?  The package says they emerge in 10-21 days so I am feeling pretty dang good about my wicked horticultural skillz.  Here's a pic of my eager little broccoli seedlings:

Go Home

I haven't left my corner of the world past the mailbox in a week. I haven't blogged in, I don't know, years? Coronavirus is here. Our spring break turned into 'social distancing' instead of visiting Grandma and Grandpa.  Regardless of human anxiety and fear, spring has the guts to show up. Snow piles are almost melted, birds are chatty in the cottonwood tree and the rhubarb is peeking out of the ground near the chicken coop. Seeds have the audacity to grow. Do I?

Night gardening deserves a quiet night

One evening this week, Monday, June 20th to be exact, my Hubby and I planted our new blueberry hedge around the two outside edges of the potager.  I ended up deciding on 'Northblue' plants since they looked nice at the nursery and Auntie Linda, who grows just a tiny ACRE of these blue beauties, gave her seal of approval to the performance of this northern-hardy variety.  Apparently they've only failed to produce once in twenty years for her, that's a pretty solid record in my book.  I don't really have it in the 'budget' to buy eleven #1 gallon blueberry plants, so Hubby and I declared them his Father's Day gift, pretty much making them a necessity.  That's how we roll. I wanted to act like a sober gardener and plant in straight rows for once, so I actually measured and marked the rows w/ paint before digging.  They are planted on center 4' away from the outside veggie boxes.  'Northblue' is supposed to get about 3' wide so theoreti