Skip to main content

Fairy Gardening

You learn something every day.  Today I learned that fairies like shiny things.  Well, me too, what a coincidence.

This morning the girl and I were up early and I was itchy to do something since the weather was so nice.  We headed out on a spontaneous field trip to our favorite local garden haunts, first Earthworks, and then Garden Divas, both over in River Falls.  Earthworks is a design and install landscape company, and they also operate a peaceful little garden center close to the Kinnickinnic river.  They have cool funky evergreens that I like to visit and pine for, get it, 'pine'?  Seriously awesome, would that I had more $ in my garden budget, then that Taylor's Sunburst Pine will be mine!  Really we went to visit the new chickens they've installed in a cute red coop out behind the greenhouses, and had mentioned in their e-newsletter.  But said chickens were apparently not awake yet, so off we went to our next stop.

At Garden Divas, I unexpectedly tripped and fell onto the fairy gardening bandwagon.  Have you heard about these?  I have heard talk about fairy gardening for a couple of years now, I suppose, and have always been like, "Puh-leeze.  What a stupid, expensive-sounding teeny-tiny huge waste of time. Fairies?  I'm too busy with gardening in reality, thank you."  Then I saw these artfully arranged individual miniature neighborhoods in funky cool containers, complete with furniture, miniature plants, paths, bridges, roads, etc.  They are like an outdoor dollhouse; an imaginary green neighborhood that we can landscape for supposed secret nighttime visitors.  My Girl was grabbing a 1" high watering can out of one of them before I could blink, and we were immediately and simultaneously hooked.  I thought of a cool fake rock container I had at home that I have been wondering what the hell to do with, and now I knew.  Let the shopping begin!



Before: cool container, not so cool old tired sedum.


Planting and Watering


Cute.  The fairy garden's cute too.

She won't let go of the tiny watering can that we got for the garden.  She even wanted to take her nap with it.

The finished garden.  It's got Lemon Thyme and Lavender 'shrubs', a stolen from our garden start of Hens and Chicks in front, moss mulch, fairy sized wheelbarrow and (missing) watering can, and a rock path to a fairy chair and arbor.  Some shiny marbles we had left over from some other projects serve as fairy bait.
I can't wait to do some more of these.  No, it's not terribly cheap to buy these little accessories, but now that I've got some ideas I can't wait to try some homemade things, maybe w/ doll furniture or pretty rocks we've picked up and can repurpose as houses or furniture.  Or maybe I'll just head back to Garden Divas or elsewhere for inspiration again (and probably for that tiny red fairy bicycle we saw).

Comments

Popular Posts

Broccoli Land Speed Record

I'm behind in posting my seed starting progress.  On Wed, March 16th, about 8 weeks till last predicted frost, I started my pepper seeds.  I planted two cells of Jalapeno, two of green bell peppers and 5 of the colorful Carnival Mix bells.  I always plant 2-3 seeds per cell and then thin to the strongest survivor.  So they are all up and happy now: I was planning to start my tomato and broccoli seeds a week ago on Tues, March 29th (6 weeks till last frost) but didn't get around to it until Friday, April 1st.  Close enough.  Mother Nature's behind this spring too if you ask me.  It snowed last week, for pete's sake! Last night, I went down to water and check on things, and the Romanesco Broccoli seeds are already up!  That's got to be a broccoli land speed record, right?  Three days?  The package says they emerge in 10-21 days so I am feeling pretty dang good about my wicked horticultural skillz.  Here's a pic of my eager little broccoli seedlings:

Try it

While many folks have started New Year’s Resolutions for 2022, I have been looking for My Word. Admittedly, I could use improvements along the lines of traditional resolutions like getting more exercise, eating less sweets, or managing money well, but I also know myself enough to know I don’t and won’t abide by these just because we hang a new tally sheet on the wall indicating the reset of the annual cycle. What I love about a new year is the excuse for a pause. A practically mandated time set aside for nostalgic self-reflection! This looking back, along with the hopeful feeling of potential for what is to come is an enjoyable tradition for me (I’m blessedly past the stage of loud, boozy, people-y New Year’s Eve parties).  Yes, instead of traditional resolutions, I’ve adopted a more recent trend of choosing a word to focus on for the upcoming year. I find self-improvement goals for a new season easier to remember if I settle on a word or phrase that is lately on my heart.

Stay Wild

Deep Breath. Here goes. And it’s gonna be sweary.  You’ve probably heard the phrase “Life begins at 40”. I’m there. I’m a few years into the decade, but already deep in the vibe. A shift is happening, and my mind is blown by the “aliveness” of it all. Here’s how it happened:  I’m a woman, wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend, entrepreneur, creative dreamer. I was also recently diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), primarily Inattentive Type. “WTF”, you ask? I know. Don’t get me started; I’m still getting used to it myself, and it’s a long, complicated story filled with questions, doubt, research, doctors, naysayers, anger, acceptance, and lots and lots of hope (repeat).  It’s a fucking revelation . Here I am, at age 43, wondering why I’ve always felt anxious, socially awkward, misunderstood, and possibly legit crazy. I have been questioning myself for years. Decades. Trudging through life, wearing (too) many hats, grasping at fulfillment, and still