Skip to main content

Green Expo, Part 1. Plant Trends and Edible Ornamentals

To keep on top of new happenings in the local landscaping world, in January I made my annual trek to Minneapolis to the mecca for landscape professionals in the Twin Cities, the Northern Green Expo.  I attended seminars put on by a bunch of smart plant folk and thought that unlike past years I'd blog what I absorbed before losing my notes on my desk or throwing them out in a fit of cleaning rage a few months down the road.

I heard two seminars from Lloyd Traven, owner of Peace Tree Farms.  Check out www.peacetreefarm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.showpage/pageID/19/index.htm for more info.  I like him.  Seems like he's not afraid to speak his mind.  He's also an organic grower (hallelujah).  He uses ladybug larvae and other predators to control pests and says many sprays are totally ineffective now anyways since pests have built up so much resistance due to 'cide overuse. 

Here are the highlights of interest to me from his talks, in no logical order per my crazy notes. Lloyd is a grower, so his talks were tailored to a retail perspective for the mostly grower-filled audience.  I am a designer, not a grower, but still I find the marketing and trend info useful when designing and selling to clients.  Plus, I am still a consumer, obviously, so I want to see what's new and exciting and if I'm going to get on board with it all or not...I'm nothing if not opinionated.  Anywho, here's what he said, and what I think about what he said, take it or leave it. 

1.  Independent Garden Centers should be calling themselves 'Locally-owned Garden Centers'.

Huh? Who cares?  Well, the point is growers should try to separate themselves from the big box stores by using the friendly name 'Locally-Owned', thus promoting their specialized expertise, service, and contribution to the local economy.  Gardeners who are smart enough to know they will never know everything about gardening should be supporting these Mom-N-Pop growers who actually care about plants and can teach you something while you shop, if you care to listen.  If you disagree about shopping local, you're probably not a bad person, you're just cheap.  Me too, sometimes.  But when you can, help out the local grower who actually gives a damn, please.  That teenager on the end of a hose at the Home Depot parking lot hoophouse does not give a toot about your outdoor room.   

2.  Plant trends that are hot right now:
-Veggies and herbs (DUH!)
-Edible Ornamentals (I concur - http://www.gardenminnesota.com/blog_home.asp?display=92)
-Vertical Gardens (espalier, trellises, space-saving growing techniques)
-Fairy/Terrariums (I'm ambivalent. I want to like fairy gardening, because it sounds like a cool children's gardening thing, but it sounds like an expensive bandwagon to be on. A tiny, expensive bandwagon.)
-Fragrance
-Shoulder Plants/Seasonals (Plants for early and late in the growing season to extend your gardening time. There are lots of options other than pansies for early spring and mums for fall, so experiment! The only one I specifically noted was Ivy geraniums, which apparently take cooler spring temps decently and he says they do well in hanging baskets out at the same time pansies are out)
-Water Friendly Plants and Succulents
-Shade Plants
-Heirloom
-Fancy Foliage
-Conservation gardens (rain gardens, water-conserving gardens)
-The 'no petunia zone' (he feels about petunias like I feel about all the new Echinaceas - There are WAY better things to be growing)

I don't want this entry to be completely without visual aids, so here's one photo from my patio last summer.  Glad to see I was on trend w/ the Hens N Chicks.

3. Container and Plant ideas
-Lettuce and Violas mixed together en masse, the violas peek their little flowers up over the lettuce leaves
-Multi Basil pot - there are tons of varities w/ different foliage colors, scents, and flavors, enough variety to make an interesting mixed container of only basil
-Furniture covered w/ succulents - for example an old bistro table and chairs w/ table top and chair seats covered w/ hens & chicks for decorative accent
-Galvanized troughs, washtubs and cattle feeders.  He showed a cool photo of a long galvanized stock tank filled about halfway w/ soil and planted full of succulents (drainage holes drilled, obviously), with a glass tabletop on legs set into it for a crazy cool patio coffee table
-Teepee frame built w/ rebar or some other sturdy material covered w/ chicken wire (or similar material) w/ mini pumpkins climbing it = kid's playhouse! I so want to do this for Vi
-Veggie plants that are also ornamental: Bull's blood beet has pretty foliage, African blue basil is a pretty plant that attracts lots of pollinators, Israeli Golden Oregano is the only good gold oregano cultivar
-Heirloom tomatoes - we should be growing Russian heirlooms in our climate in upper midwest as they are most suited to our latitude and light conditions and apparently will do way better than common Brandywine and Amish Paste, for example.

4. He likes the color chartreuse!  Hallelujah!  My kind of guy.  He said chartreuse shows up in the landscape at 500' away, white variegation only at 100'.  Me likey.

5. Lloyd recommends checking out a guy named Felder Rushing http://www.felderrushing.net/.  Felder is apparently an eccentric gardener (definitely meant as a compliment coming from me) who pretty much believes there are no garden rules.  There's only what YOU like to grow, where you want to grow it, for whatever reason.  Pretty sure I'm on board w/ that.  His book 'Slow Gardening' http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Gardening-No-Stress-Philosophy-Seasons/dp/1603582673/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329169119&sr=1-1 is on my request list at the public library since my huge Amazon wish list of books is strictly staying a wish list until I win the lottery.  By the way, if you don't use your public library, you're missing out on a free education - just sayin'.  Anyways, I'll report back when I've read it. 

6.  Lloyd recommends learning about the Farmer's Veterans Coalition:  http://www.farmvetco.org/.  From their website: "The coalition seeks to simultaneously assist the farming community by developing a new generation of farmers and to help our returning veterans find viable careers and means to heal on America’s farms."  Cool.

7. Think about this - Lloyd says Garden Centers should not just sell veggie plants, they should sell whole kits for gardens.  Raised bed kits for example could contain lumber, soil, plants, fertilizer, tomato cages, etc., and delivery cost should be included in the price of the kit.  Retailers should make is EASY and NORMAL for people to grow their own food.  What do you think?  Would you buy it?

Comments

Popular Posts

Broccoli Land Speed Record

I'm behind in posting my seed starting progress.  On Wed, March 16th, about 8 weeks till last predicted frost, I started my pepper seeds.  I planted two cells of Jalapeno, two of green bell peppers and 5 of the colorful Carnival Mix bells.  I always plant 2-3 seeds per cell and then thin to the strongest survivor.  So they are all up and happy now: I was planning to start my tomato and broccoli seeds a week ago on Tues, March 29th (6 weeks till last frost) but didn't get around to it until Friday, April 1st.  Close enough.  Mother Nature's behind this spring too if you ask me.  It snowed last week, for pete's sake! Last night, I went down to water and check on things, and the Romanesco Broccoli seeds are already up!  That's got to be a broccoli land speed record, right?  Three days?  The package says they emerge in 10-21 days so I am feeling pretty dang good about my wicked horticultural skillz.  Here's a pic of my eager little broccoli seedlings:

Try it

While many folks have started New Year’s Resolutions for 2022, I have been looking for My Word. Admittedly, I could use improvements along the lines of traditional resolutions like getting more exercise, eating less sweets, or managing money well, but I also know myself enough to know I don’t and won’t abide by these just because we hang a new tally sheet on the wall indicating the reset of the annual cycle. What I love about a new year is the excuse for a pause. A practically mandated time set aside for nostalgic self-reflection! This looking back, along with the hopeful feeling of potential for what is to come is an enjoyable tradition for me (I’m blessedly past the stage of loud, boozy, people-y New Year’s Eve parties).  Yes, instead of traditional resolutions, I’ve adopted a more recent trend of choosing a word to focus on for the upcoming year. I find self-improvement goals for a new season easier to remember if I settle on a word or phrase that is lately on my heart.

Stay Wild

Deep Breath. Here goes. And it’s gonna be sweary.  You’ve probably heard the phrase “Life begins at 40”. I’m there. I’m a few years into the decade, but already deep in the vibe. A shift is happening, and my mind is blown by the “aliveness” of it all. Here’s how it happened:  I’m a woman, wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend, entrepreneur, creative dreamer. I was also recently diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), primarily Inattentive Type. “WTF”, you ask? I know. Don’t get me started; I’m still getting used to it myself, and it’s a long, complicated story filled with questions, doubt, research, doctors, naysayers, anger, acceptance, and lots and lots of hope (repeat).  It’s a fucking revelation . Here I am, at age 43, wondering why I’ve always felt anxious, socially awkward, misunderstood, and possibly legit crazy. I have been questioning myself for years. Decades. Trudging through life, wearing (too) many hats, grasping at fulfillment, and still