Skip to main content

Grandpa's Rose is Blooming

Or rather, the rose was blooming.  I've been meaning to write this blog for a week or two and this particular rose show has basically come and gone already so I'm behind the times.  My Grandpa K was quite a gardener.  He had a large veggie and flower garden bordering the whole east side of his yard, surrounded by a tiny electric fence to keep rabbits (and possibly overly-curious grandkids?) out.  He also had quite a lot of fruit trees, and walnut trees, and a real root cellar in the basement where they stored dug potatoes and all of Grandma's canned stuff, and chickens for fresh eggs, and lots of other way cool stuff that made a visit to Grandma and Grandpa's place one of a kind.  When he died in 1999, my Mom and I stopped by his house and took cuttings of one of his rose bushes to remember him and that special place by.  The roses are now flourishing both at my place and at Mom and Dad's in northern WI Zone 3. 


Grandpa's rose

Color fading...


An older photo of Grandpa's rose in the back of this perennial bed.


I have no idea what variety Grandpa's rose is.  It reaches 4-5' tall, which I suppose means it could be considered a climber, but I just use it as a nice, wild backdrop for my sunny perennial bed.  It tends to sucker quite a bit, so this spring I gave it a heavy thinning and rounding up of the rogue canes just as the buds were breaking dormancy.  Now it has much more air circulation, albeit a few floppy canes that don't have as many neighbors to lean on anymore.  Not that disease seemed to be a problem in this tough old variety; I've never noticed a speck of powdery mildew or black spot on it.  It's sprays of cotton candy pink flowers fade to pale blush pink as they age. The down side of this rose, if I have to choose, is that it's a bit on the prickly mean side, and not a show stopper as far as long-lasting blooms.  The outer petals start browning almost the same instant the flowers open on this old girl, and she only puts on her show for a week or two each summer, and that's it.  But oh, the smell!  It is a deeply sweet and spicy fragrance.  I have no idea how to describe it, but I don't think you get a fragrance like this in the newer varieties of roses anymore. 

Fragrance has often been overlooked and left behind in the plant breeding world's quest for longer bloom time or repeat blooming, disease resistance, production time, shippability or unusual rose colors (think florist industry).   While these are all arguably important features, fragrance seems like it should be the signature of any rose, no?  It totally makes all the thorns worthwhile.  I hope to always have this sentimental, if not 'perfect', rose to help me remember my roots.

Comments

Popular Posts

Broccoli Land Speed Record

I'm behind in posting my seed starting progress.  On Wed, March 16th, about 8 weeks till last predicted frost, I started my pepper seeds.  I planted two cells of Jalapeno, two of green bell peppers and 5 of the colorful Carnival Mix bells.  I always plant 2-3 seeds per cell and then thin to the strongest survivor.  So they are all up and happy now: I was planning to start my tomato and broccoli seeds a week ago on Tues, March 29th (6 weeks till last frost) but didn't get around to it until Friday, April 1st.  Close enough.  Mother Nature's behind this spring too if you ask me.  It snowed last week, for pete's sake! Last night, I went down to water and check on things, and the Romanesco Broccoli seeds are already up!  That's got to be a broccoli land speed record, right?  Three days?  The package says they emerge in 10-21 days so I am feeling pretty dang good about my wicked horticultural skillz.  Here's a pic of my eager little broccoli seedlings:

Try it

While many folks have started New Year’s Resolutions for 2022, I have been looking for My Word. Admittedly, I could use improvements along the lines of traditional resolutions like getting more exercise, eating less sweets, or managing money well, but I also know myself enough to know I don’t and won’t abide by these just because we hang a new tally sheet on the wall indicating the reset of the annual cycle. What I love about a new year is the excuse for a pause. A practically mandated time set aside for nostalgic self-reflection! This looking back, along with the hopeful feeling of potential for what is to come is an enjoyable tradition for me (I’m blessedly past the stage of loud, boozy, people-y New Year’s Eve parties).  Yes, instead of traditional resolutions, I’ve adopted a more recent trend of choosing a word to focus on for the upcoming year. I find self-improvement goals for a new season easier to remember if I settle on a word or phrase that is lately on my heart.

Stay Wild

Deep Breath. Here goes. And it’s gonna be sweary.  You’ve probably heard the phrase “Life begins at 40”. I’m there. I’m a few years into the decade, but already deep in the vibe. A shift is happening, and my mind is blown by the “aliveness” of it all. Here’s how it happened:  I’m a woman, wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend, entrepreneur, creative dreamer. I was also recently diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), primarily Inattentive Type. “WTF”, you ask? I know. Don’t get me started; I’m still getting used to it myself, and it’s a long, complicated story filled with questions, doubt, research, doctors, naysayers, anger, acceptance, and lots and lots of hope (repeat).  It’s a fucking revelation . Here I am, at age 43, wondering why I’ve always felt anxious, socially awkward, misunderstood, and possibly legit crazy. I have been questioning myself for years. Decades. Trudging through life, wearing (too) many hats, grasping at fulfillment, and still