Skip to main content

Garden Inspiration

I worked at the Minneapolis Home and Garden Show a bit over the weekend.  While there, I did get a chance to wander around a bit, and I am always amazed at the effort and creativity that goes into the display gardens built in the convention center for this event.  For just a 5 day event, those folks sure go all out.  One that caught my eye was an arching arbor built over a wide walkway.  I've been trying to find a shade solution for over our patio for years and I could picture something like this as a possibility:


The reason I like it is the frame is made out of metal tubing which is something I hadn't considered.  I've been paralyzed by the thought of a traditional pergola made of wood, and I figure we'd probably have to get lumber custom-sawn ($$$) to reach across our 19' x 19' patio (a stamped concrete behemoth that came with the house)  The tubing and assembly of this looks like a hoophouse frame, painted black.  I happen to know a welder/metalworker who might be able to figure something like this out for me.  Let's add it to the 'honey-do' list and see what happens. 

I'm not into the stone pillars they've got the arches mounted on, we'd have to figure something else out.  And I don't really like the containers on the pillars either, they look too busy.  I want to grow some vigorous climbing vines from the ground all the way up this baby, whatever we end up building it out of.  I'm thinking instead of grapes like they're implying here w/ their display, I'd rather do wisteria.  Or, since that's such a hit or miss bloomer for me, probably Campsis (trumpetvine).  It's just a bit marginally hardy here, but I'm totally willing to try it.  Our back yard is sort of protected by a big hill behind us and I'm really into the idea of getting buzzed by tons of crazy hummingbirds while I sip my frosty beverage of choice on the patio.  Sweet.

Comments

Popular Posts

Broccoli Land Speed Record

I'm behind in posting my seed starting progress.  On Wed, March 16th, about 8 weeks till last predicted frost, I started my pepper seeds.  I planted two cells of Jalapeno, two of green bell peppers and 5 of the colorful Carnival Mix bells.  I always plant 2-3 seeds per cell and then thin to the strongest survivor.  So they are all up and happy now: I was planning to start my tomato and broccoli seeds a week ago on Tues, March 29th (6 weeks till last frost) but didn't get around to it until Friday, April 1st.  Close enough.  Mother Nature's behind this spring too if you ask me.  It snowed last week, for pete's sake! Last night, I went down to water and check on things, and the Romanesco Broccoli seeds are already up!  That's got to be a broccoli land speed record, right?  Three days?  The package says they emerge in 10-21 days so I am feeling pretty dang good about my wicked horticultural skillz.  Here's a pic of my eager little broccoli seedlings:

Try it

While many folks have started New Year’s Resolutions for 2022, I have been looking for My Word. Admittedly, I could use improvements along the lines of traditional resolutions like getting more exercise, eating less sweets, or managing money well, but I also know myself enough to know I don’t and won’t abide by these just because we hang a new tally sheet on the wall indicating the reset of the annual cycle. What I love about a new year is the excuse for a pause. A practically mandated time set aside for nostalgic self-reflection! This looking back, along with the hopeful feeling of potential for what is to come is an enjoyable tradition for me (I’m blessedly past the stage of loud, boozy, people-y New Year’s Eve parties).  Yes, instead of traditional resolutions, I’ve adopted a more recent trend of choosing a word to focus on for the upcoming year. I find self-improvement goals for a new season easier to remember if I settle on a word or phrase that is lately on my heart.

Stay Wild

Deep Breath. Here goes. And it’s gonna be sweary.  You’ve probably heard the phrase “Life begins at 40”. I’m there. I’m a few years into the decade, but already deep in the vibe. A shift is happening, and my mind is blown by the “aliveness” of it all. Here’s how it happened:  I’m a woman, wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend, entrepreneur, creative dreamer. I was also recently diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), primarily Inattentive Type. “WTF”, you ask? I know. Don’t get me started; I’m still getting used to it myself, and it’s a long, complicated story filled with questions, doubt, research, doctors, naysayers, anger, acceptance, and lots and lots of hope (repeat).  It’s a fucking revelation . Here I am, at age 43, wondering why I’ve always felt anxious, socially awkward, misunderstood, and possibly legit crazy. I have been questioning myself for years. Decades. Trudging through life, wearing (too) many hats, grasping at fulfillment, and still